This year’s big Fringe and Friends Knitalong is a little different than years past — this time, we’re not using a pattern! The challenge is to knit a top-down sweater from your own imagination or source of inspiration, using my top-down tutorial or any of the other top-down methodologies out there. I can’t wait to see what everyone cooks up! This should be a blast.
I’ll be introducing the Panel for this knitalong the week of August 15th!
Pattern: No published patterns allowed — use my top-down tutorial or any other top-down method you like to improvise a sweater of your own
Hashtag: #fringeandfriendsKAL2016 (use it at Instagram, Ravelry, Twitter, or wherever you post online)
Schedule: Swatch and sketch at your leisure (and share with the hashtag!) but official cast-on date is August 15th
– How to measure a swatch
– How to knit the right size sweater
– How (and why) to seam a seamless sweater
– How (and why) to knit top-down sleeve flat
– Hot Tip: Save time at try-on
HOW TO PARTICIPATE — AND WIN PRIZES!
There is no sign-up form or initiation rite of any kind — this is a super casual affair. If you want to knit along, just cast on! Post about your sweater on Instagram, a Ravelry project page, Flickr, Twitter, Facebook … wherever you like … as well as in the comments on any of the respective blog posts here.
I’ll be picking a favorite WIP to feature each week, starting August 19th and running through the end of September, and that WIP OF THE WEEK knitter will win a very tasty prize. If you’ve shared somewhere other than Instagram (which I’ll be monitoring the most closely), please leave a link to your photo in a blog comment during the week, just to be safe! What I’ll be looking for is beautiful/funny/interesting/informative pics and captions as well as the sweater and the knitting.
BLOG POSTS IN THIS SERIES
Individual blog posts are linked below, or scroll them all in reverse-chron order.
– Fringe and Friends Knitalong 2016: Preview and plans
– Top-Down Knitalong FAQ and addenda
– Top-Down Ideas for me and you
– Improv: Basic pattern for a top-down sweater
– Kickoff and PRIZE notes! — PLEASE READ
– How to incorporate a stitch pattern in a top-down sweater
– WIP of the Week No.1: Ashley (aka @callistoknits)
– How to knit a compound raglan
– WIP of the Week No.2: Beth (aka @beththais)
– How to improve your knitting and FO photos
– WIP of the Week No.3: Jess (aka @jess_b_daniels)
– How to knit inset pockets (top-down)
– WIPs of the Week No.4: Ding and Sari
– WIP of the Week No.5: Brigit (aka @thewoolwitch)
– Karen joins the start-over club
– WIP of the Week No.6: Paige (aka @purlingpaige)
– Panel FO No. 1: Jess Schreibstein
– Panel FO No. 2: Brandi Harper
– The WIPs of the Week that became FOs
– Panel FO No. 3: Karen Templer
– Complete stitch counts and details on Karen’s sweater